[mou] Sharp-shinned mobbed by redpolls

shawn conrad dingermcduff at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 14 20:50:04 CDT 2008

Yesterday, my wife and I were standing outside by my garage when a Sharp-shinned Hawk tore in and crashed into a flock of redpolls by the cedar seedling in my yard.  Not only did it not hit one, but the weirdest thing happened....the redpolls (30+) actually flew up and appeared to mob the Sharp-shinned.  They flew after it for a short distance, then it circled around once while the flock of redpolls flew above it, then it had enough and flew off.  I've never seen redpolls mob before, but this is what seemed to be occurring.  Has anyone else seen anything like this or was this event something other than what it appeared to be??Shawn Conradhttp://users.2z.net/itasca_chippewa_birding/