[mou] Mew Gull found again

JELLISBIRD at aol.com JELLISBIRD at aol.com
Mon Apr 14 22:50:56 CDT 2008

    I crossed paths with Bob Dunlap who was going out as I was coming in
along the Sakatah Trail (about 5:30 or so.) At 5:50 PM the Mew Gull emerged from
somewhere over the North end of Eagle Lake and flew over the trail about 30 yds
up, providing very nice flying views. It circled the south end of the lake,
went back over the trail and sat down in the water in the North end of the
North End of Eagle Lake (about 6:05.) From there it alternately got up, circling
the north end and re-alighting on the water, where it appeared to be feeding. I
could consistently pick it out at that distance but not to ID it. Shortly
before 7 PM it got up, flew south, again flying over the trail and circled to the
south end of the south end of the lake and lit again. At this point I waved
in other birders (Karen and Merrill Frydendahl and Vern and Cindy Krienke) who
were scanning the North end from up the trail. Shortly after this the bird got
up, flew around in circles over the south end and then came over the trail,
circling over the trail and lit in the water on the north end about 75-100
yards out for some very adequate looks sitting on the water.
    The overall appearance was a mottled brown bird with darker brown wing
tips and tail end, with whiter highlights on the tail coverts and the underwing
coverts and white highlights on the front of the face. The bill was weaker
than a ring-bill and the bird was overall slightly smaller and had narrower wings
than the ring-bills present. The bill was small, with a fleshy (pink) base
and a dark tip. The head was rounded, the eyes were dark and the bird had a
"gentle" appearance. The tail coverts, upper and under, while lighter in
appearance than the tail tip, were barred with a darker brown (but the brown was
lighter than the tail tip.) The mantle was a greyer brown and had lighter highlights
on the feather edges. The bird was graceful, had a subtly slower wing beat
then the ring-bills and seemed slightly more buoyant in flight. While feeding it
would lift off the water slightly and would bob its head under the water,
almost starting a dive at times and would come out at times with small fish. It
was occasionally harrassed by ring-bills (and by a nearby Pelican at one time)
and lost several of the fish it had caught. The breast and belly were brownish
with darker brown highlights on the feathers. My impression was the same as
Chad Heins', a first winter Mew Gull.
    John Ellis-St. Paul<BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>It's Tax Time! Get tips,
forms and advice on AOL Money & Finance.<BR>
(http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850)</HTML>