[mou] Radar Imagery Sites

R.D. Everhart everhart at black-hole.com
Tue Apr 15 20:57:43 CDT 2008

Hi everyone,

    I've had a few people ask me for the sites where I check the
nexrad images for indications of migration. The best site is:
http://weather.radar.gov

    I do have another spot bookmarked with the really long URL below:

www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/radar/displayRad.php?icao=KUSA&prod=n0r&b
kgr=black&endDate=20050421&endTime=-1&duration=0

   What I like about this one is that it is a composite map that
let's you look at the entire country at one time. I don't know of any
radar sites for Mexico but I'm sure they're out there somewhere. One
person did mention that the gulf coast of Alabama has seen a couple
of fall out mornings so there is at least some movement in the
eastern gulf area. I don't know if there have been any big lift offs
from the Yucatan Peninsula headed to Texas.
    A good site for a basic introduction to Radar Ornithology is the
Journey North website:

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/weather/radar/index.html

   Again tonight it looks like northward movement in the central U.S.
but further east than last night. This may be due to a cold front
moving south through the Dakotas and Minnesota. I hope this helps
folks find good images for their area.

Roger Everhart
http://minnesotabirdnerd.blogspot.com
www.ncbo.org