[mou] Loons in Ramsey County

Earl Orf earlorf at uslink.net
Tue Apr 15 22:18:05 CDT 2008

As many people have already mentioned, open water is drawing concentrations
of waterfowl in the Twin Cities area.  I stopped at a small lake in the town
of White Bear Lake today.  I think the name of it is Goose Lake.  Just south
of downtown White Bear Lake there are small lakes on both sides of Hwy 61.
I know that the one on the east side is Goose Lake and I think the one on
the west side is connected and is also considered to be Goose Lake.  The one
on the west side was open today and held 60 Common Loons.  It also had the
following:

Ring-necked Duck (at least 100)

Great Egret (1)

Coot (about 50)

Ruddy Duck (1)

Redhead (3)

Red-breasted Merganser (about 10 pair)

Pied-billed Grebe (10)

American Wigeon (one pair)

Lesser Scaup (5)

I wouldn't have thought that this little lake was even big enough for a loon
to take off from.

Earl Orf

www.earlorfphotos.com