[mou] Purgatory Creek-Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow(heard only)

John Cyrus cyrus150 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 17 15:43:59 CDT 2008

I went to the same area around the Purgatory Creek wetland this afternoon and did not locate the Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow visually after a 30 minute search.   I did hear his song 1 time, but that was it.    The song came from a swampier area today than yesterday, so I was unable to get anywhere near him.   It was also further west from where the creek exits the wetland.  I noticed yesterday that he would only get startled if you were very close to him.   Otherwise, he didn't move around a whole lot.  I was slightly off in the exact location yesterday.   I typed southeast, but after looking at a map,  the creek exits due south.  I always mistakenly assumed southeast for some reason.   The sparrow was on the west bank of the creek, not the east.

John