[mou] Thurs Night on Goose Lake

Kathy Confer confer at umn.edu
Fri Apr 18 00:02:07 CDT 2008

Goose Lake on the west side of Hwy 61 just south of White Bear Lake did
not disappoint this evening! The previous posts lured me there, and this
is what I experienced from 7:00-7:30 p.m.:
- About 30 loons
- Some American coots
- A pied-billed grebe
- A bunch of ring-necked ducks
- Mallards
- Two pairs of ruddy ducks
- A couple lesser scaups
- A pair of buffleheads
The icing on the cake: We noticed a few snowy egrets in a tree at the
south end of the lake shortly after we arrived. In the time that we were
there looking at the ducks and loons, the egrets just kept flying in
from the north in small groups until there were more than 50 roosting in
the south shore trees when we left. What a beautiful sight!

Cheers!
Kathy Confer