[mou] Long-eared and N Saw-whet owls

Kim R Eckert eckertkr at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 09:40:10 CDT 2008

Along Lake Co Rd 2 yesterday evening (17 April), Barb Akre and I found
a Long-eared Owl and a N Saw-whet north of Two Harbors. The Long-eared
was heard-only at 8:45 pm, and the location was 18.5 mi N of Hwy 61.
The N Saw-whet was seen at 11:00 pm as it flew across the road, 5.5 mi
N of Hwy 61.

A probable Barred Owl also flew across the road, 20.5 mi N of Hwy 61.
Although the weather conditions were favorable with little or no wind,
the Long-eared was the only owl actually heard during the 15 or so
stops we made along Co Rd 2, going 36.5 mi N of Two Harbors before
turning around. (The Barred and N Saw-whet did not vocalize.)

Also heard along Co Rd 2 were 3-4 displaying Am Woodcock, a winnowing
Wilson's Snipe, and 2 drumming Ruffed Grouse.  Kim Eckert