[mou] Minneapolis lakes this morning

molly at nutting.us molly at nutting.us
Fri Apr 18 11:27:50 CDT 2008

We checked out Lakes Harriet and Hiawatha in Minneapolis this morning.

Lake Harriet had a lot of ice on it yet. There were quite a few
Red-breasted Mergansers around in the open water by the shore all
around the lake.

Lake Hiawatha was completely open and had a lot going on! We saw at
least a couple dozen Common Loons (we only observed from one side of
the lake and couldn't get a good count), the 5 Horned Grebes reported
by Diana Doyle yesterday, a large flock of Double-crested Cormorants
(50-60), another bunch of Red-breasted Mergansers, a Great Blue Heron,
a few Ring-billed Gulls and a Belted Kingfisher.

Molly Nutting
Uptown, Minneapolis