[mou] Carver County-Sandhill Crane

John Cyrus cyrus150 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 19 12:45:50 CDT 2008

This morning at Carver Park Reserve, there was a stained adult Sandhill Crane calling in clear view from the Tamarack Bog boardwalk.   Luckily, I remembered my camara today.  I viewed him from the southside of the boardwalk.    As far as I could tell, he was alone.   He was fairly close to the northern end of the boardwalk(the boardwalk is a semicircle off of the main grass trail). I did not even attempt to go to that end, as I thought I might scare him.

Other new birds for the year(for me) at Carver Park:  Orange-crowned Warbler, Swamp Sparrow, and Field Sparrow

The wetlands at the Chevalle neighborhood in Chaksa have quieted down quite a bit.   There were lower numbers(compared to earlier in the week)of Ring-necked Ducks, Blue-winged Teal, Lesser Scaup(I didn't notice any Greater, but I didn't study many of the Scaup), Bufflehead, Pied-billed Grebe, and  Coot.

At Chaska Lake there were about 110 American White Pelican, a few Cormorant, Blue-winged Teal, and more Coot.   A small number of swallows have returned to the lake including  Tree, Barn, and Northern Rough-winged.

There were no significant numbers of sparrows except for Song.

John