[mou] Winona Co. Sightings

JDOBRE06 at smumn.edu JDOBRE06 at smumn.edu
Sat Apr 19 13:42:15 CDT 2008

Instead of packing stuff to take back down to Iowa, I chose to go out birding today and glad I did.  I went along the river from Winona to Minnesota City and back and got 3 lifers.

Highlights:

12 species of ducks (inc. all 3 Mergansers)
Horned Grebe *Lifer(in 3 different spots, groups of 2, 4, and 5)
Red-necked Grebe *Lifer
American White Pelican (50-75)
Double-crested Cormorant (FOY)
Great Egret (FOY)
American Coot (Thousands)
Bonaparte's Gull (6) *Lifer
5 Woodpeckers (missed Hairy and Red-headed)
Eastern Pheobe
3 Swallows (all FOY - Barn, Tree, Northern Rough-winged)
Brown Creeper
Yellow-rumped Warbler (numerous)
4 Sparrows (Song, DEJ, White-throated, American Tree)
Brown-headed Cowbird (FOY)

Did not see any thurshes which surprised me.

Josh Obrecht
Winona/Ames, IA