[mou] Winter Wren - Meisville Ravine Park, Dakota County

Phil Dech pdech at charter.net
Sat Apr 19 17:17:24 CDT 2008

The bird was in the part of the park south of the road, foraging low to the ground within several feet of the Cannon River, roughly 50 yards beyond the picnic pavilion.  It popped up and perched near the top of the vegetation a few times, giving me reasonably good looks.

The bird had a distinctly short cocked up tail.  It was uniformly brown, barred on it's belly.  There was a stripe above its eye which was several shades lighter brown, but not white.

Unfortunately I did not have much time to spend there today.  I never feel as though I have birded this spot as thoroughly as it deserves.  No other rarities, but of note the place was just dripping with Kinglets, several dozen, mostly Golden-Crowned.  There were also some Yellow-Rumped Warblers, and two Brown Creepers.

Also, there are a lot of Flickers moving through my neck of the woods right now.

Phil Dech
Red Wing