[mou] Western Grebe in Carver County & other updates

hagsela at aol.com hagsela at aol.com
Sun Apr 20 21:30:14 CDT 2008

This afternoon (4/20) I stopped at Maria Lake in Carver (SE of Cologne) and was wowed by the variety of grebes, including one Western Grebe, three Eared Grebes and many Horned Grebes.  There were also many Common Loons and a variety of ducks.

As far as I know, the last person to see one of the American Avocets at Bass Ponds, saw it at noon.  I and several others could not locate any avocets around 2:00.  The heat waves were so strong that perhaps we were just not able to discern the object of our desire.

I refound Doug Keiser's  Eared Grebes (I saw 2) at Lake Nokomis at about 3:00.

I stopped at the Belle Plain Sewage lagoons this afternoon but there was not much there beyond ducks.  There have been issues in recent years with birders entering the sewage lagoons during work hours, but weekends seem fine - the gates are open and there are not any signs asking people to stay out.  Two of the four ponds had decent mud exposure.

Saturday, the 19th, I saw one Bank Swallow and one Cliff Swallow among many Tree and Barn Swallows at Black Dog Lake in Dakota County.  My scope luckily found each individual, allowing me good chances to see headlights, rusty rumps and necklaces.

Much else that I saw others have reported.  I ended my Saturday at Carver Park, listening to two American Woodcocks peenting.

Linda Sparling