[mou] [mnbird] Birding about the Metro

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 23 09:56:05 CDT 2008

cavity nesters are well-known for dropping eggs in nests with other bird
eggs.  I regularly see both wood ducks and hooded mergansers visiting the
same boxes.  The wood duck eggs are usually ovid (egg shaped),  while the
merganser eggs are rounder.  They are also slightly different colored, but I
am not sure how reliable that is for differentiating them.   I try to
minimize my handling of the eggs, so I do little more than count the eggs
and determine if both are present.

If you realize  that a hen lays one egg a day,   you see that often multiple
hens are using the boxes.  While some boxes are major dump zones, nearby
boxes will be ignored.