[mou] Greater Princeton, Milaca Area (Sherburne & Mille Lacs Counties)

Pastor Al Schirmacher pastoral at princetonfreechurch.net
Fri Apr 25 10:24:42 CDT 2008

Area Report, Sherburne & Mille Lacs Counties (but not lake), 4/19 - 4/25 (12
hours in field):

* 96 total species

* 18 waterfowl species, nothing unusual

* Ruffed Grouse actively drumming in Sherburne Refuge (Blue Hill & Mahnomen
Trails)

* Numerous Horned Grebes, no Red-necked or rarer yet

* Green Heron just in last night.  No egrets to date.

* Seven raptor species, single Broad-winged

* Only four shorebird species - many ag/temporary ponds available - most
interesting were two sleeping snipe on Sherburne CR 70 (actually on roadway)

* Bonaparte's and single Caspian Tern

* Only two swallows (Tree & Barn, would guess that Purple Martins are back
at the lake)

* Single early Gray Catbird in Mille Lacs County

* Only two warbler species (six million Yellow-rumped, single
Orange-crowned - don't know about you but I'm ready for the waves of
diversity!)

* Eleven sparrow species - Clay-colored just in southern Mille Lacs County
last night - have only seen one White-throated to date

* Seven blackbirds, including Rusties, Brewers and Western Meadowlarks
(latter in both counties)

* Surprising Purple Finch in middle of Mahnomen Trail, Sherburne NWR
(hunkered down in wood pile) today.

Send your poor, your downtrodden, your rarities - we have room!

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties