[mou] (Fwd) Say's phoebe on Artist's Point, Grand Marais

Jim Lind jslind at frontiernet.net
Sat Apr 26 12:42:50 CDT 2008

I just received this e-mail regarding a Say's Phoebe at Grand Marais
on the 25th.

Jim Lind

From:           	"Lissa" <lgrover at boreal.org>
Subject:        	Say's phoebe on Artist's Point, Grand Marais
Date sent:      	Sat, 26 Apr 2008 11:38:56 -0500

Harvey Sobieck and Lissa Grover saw a Say™s phoebe on Friday, April
25 at 10AM. It was feeding on the outer rocks and along the break
wall on Artist™s Point. It stayed close to the rocks, perching on the
rocks, the break wall, and the cable above the break wall. The winds
were 8-10 mph from the north, gusting to 15-20, so the bird was on
the lee side of the wall, toward Lake Superior.

We saw the bird for 10 minutes hunting in the rocks and picking items
off the side of the break wall as it moved from the western edge of
the trees on Artist™s Point out toward the lighthouse, stopping to
hunt about every 50 feet. It kept moving and as we followed we stayed
about 50 feet from it.

When we first saw it I thought it resembled a thrush when it landed,
but the tail was too long for a thrush. We were able to see a long
black tail, pale orange belly, medium gray breast, dark gray head
with a darker eyestripe, and 2 faint wing bars. It flew like a
flycatcher, jumping up to the side of the break wall, grabbing with
it™s feet, and landing back down to the rocks nearby. The belly was
pale orange, not yellow.