[mou] Saturday and Sunday in Gnesen

teamvagrant at aol.com teamvagrant at aol.com
Sun Apr 27 09:08:13 CDT 2008

What a wonderful yard bird weekend, north of Duluth.? The wind has been blowing, the snow flying and the birds looking for something to eat.??I heard one robin tell his wife they need to wait until?MN fishing opener before coming up next year.

A mixture of birds have been around that I don't recall in previous years.? From Redpolls and Evening Grosbeaks to Woodcock and?Phoebes.? A big herd of Rusty Blackbirds is mixed with the Red Wings and Grackles.??A lone Mourning Dove is trying to fit in with that group as well.??I guess it was inevitable that they would be joined by some Starlings.
White Throated, Savanna, Fox, Tree, and Song sparrows are?keeping the airwaves from being?completely dominated by the blackbirds.? ?(all of which are grateful for the "Fox holes".)? The Fox sparrow excavations are?evenly spaced, at approximately 2 feet.
I've been expecting a Harris' or White Crowned but nothing all spring - unusual.
The poor Woodcock was standing in the pond, looking absolutely ticked at the snow.? Until this morning, I've never seen a Woodcock frown.
The Juncos, Chickadees, Blue Jays, Blackbirds, Nuthatches, Redpolls and others showed not a care when the young Eagle flew over this morning at tree top level, but the Mallard made a bee line off the middle of the pond.? The Geese couldn't have cared less.? Wood ducks, Blue Wings, Green Wings, and Hoodies felt safe along the shore I guess.? The Sharpie made an appearance the other day but hasn't shown himself this weekend.
There is new down in one of the Wood duck houses.? The other house is still vacant.? Location, location, location.? Perhaps the Kestrels will move back again this year.
The flock of 20 or so Robins were resting in the raspberry sticks in the snow this a.m. as the sun rose.? Their orange was really lit up.? I would have made a nice Christmas picture.

It's only 9 a.m. and I'm sure there will be more moments to remember the weekend by come sunset.

Chris Elmgren