[mou] Abundant Yellow-rumps

James Mattsson mattjim at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 30 13:59:00 CDT 2008

April 30
Location: Lebanon Hills RP, Pilot Knob parking area adjacent to Jensen Lake
Time: 8:30-9:30 A.M.

The 1/4 mile stretch of shoreline along Jensen Lake contained perhaps the highest density of Yellow-rumped Warblers I have ever seen. A serious midge hatch was underway on this sunny side of the lake and I was just amazed at the sheer numbers and sounds of the hordes of YRWAs feasting on them. I was never out of sight of 30-50 birds as I slowly walked the shore trail. I conservatively estimated 1,000 + individuals, but counting was impossible. As I watched them feed, I realized I was witnessing a huge array of different feeding behaviors including sallying, creeping up, creeping down, hanging upside down, fishing, probing, scratching, and stalking (and I suspect lying and cheating) . Probably others. No wonder this species is so successful and abundant.

Also present were several Orange-crowneds, perhaps 30 Palms, and numerous White-crowned Sparrows.

James Mattsson
mattjim at earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.