[mou] Western Grebes, Brown County

hagsela at aol.com hagsela at aol.com
Sun Aug 3 11:06:40 CDT 2008

I observed 3 Western Grebes at the Sleepy Eye Sewage Lagoons Saturday, August 2, mid afternoon.  They were in the pond to the right as you enter the ponds.  There were also a good number of shorebirds - mostly peeps and Lssr. Yellowlegs.

I also checked out other shorebird spots:

Belle Plain Sewage in Scott County - good habitat and about 80 individual shorebirds - Semipalmated Plovers, peeps, yellowlegs, Pectoral SPs

Nicollet Cty., east side  Hwy 4, just past the MN River bridge (reported earlier by Craig Mandel) - a larger number of shorebirds, including Stilt SP and Semipalmated Plovers

Fairfax Sewage Lagoons, Renville Cty. - a good mix of shore birds.  The best bird was a Great Horned Owl, sitting on the fence surrounding the ponds (I was there at dusk).

Linda Sparling