[mou] Carver County

John Cyrus cyrus150 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 9 11:47:20 CDT 2008

2 new migrants were at Carver Park today, a Nashville Warbler and a Philadelphia Vireo.     I saw what may be my last Blue-winged Warbler of the year.   Hopefully I'll still see a couple more this year.  Both the Bobolinks and the Henslow's Sparrow were gone from the area they have been for the past month.    There was a curious juvenile Sedge Wren in the area but no adults.   A few adult Sedge Wrens were back singing at the Tamarack Bog.  Overall this year there seem to be less Vireos around.   Today I saw both Red-eyed and Warbling but only 2 of each.   It seems to be Red-eyed and Yellow-throated that I am seeing less of compared to Warbling which I have probably seen about as many as I have seen in past summers.   Another bird I have seen less of this year are Pileated Woodpeckers.   I can only remember seeing 1 this year, and that was back during the winter.

At the Chevalle neighborhood wetland, there was only 1 Greater Yellowlegs with the usual Killdeer.   Last week there were Least and Semipalmated Sandpiper as well as a Sora that I flushed.  There were also a few Vesper Sparrows in the area surrounding the wetland.

John