[mou] shorebirds in Lac Que Parle Co.

Doug Buri dougburi at tnics.com
Sun Aug 10 18:35:57 CDT 2008

Bob Janssen and I had a good shorebird workshop this weekend. We found 18 species. Shorebirds found were:

American Golden-Plover ( Big Stone NWR -- SW 1/4 of Section 8 Agassiz Twp.) in an bare dirt field
Semipalmated Plover
Killdeer
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Solitary Sandpiper
Spotted Sandpiper
Upland Sandpiper
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Baird's Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper
Stilt Sandpiper
Buff-breasted Sandpiper ( Big Stone NWR -- SW 1/4 of Section 8 Agassiz Twp.) in an bare dirt field
Short-billed Dowitcher
Wilson's Snipe
Wilson's Phalarope
Red-necked Phalarope (quite a number on Salt Lake)

The Buff-breasted stays with American Golden-Plovers in a big crowd of Killdeer in an ag field on the south side of Big Stone NWR. Everyone got good close looks of the Red-necked Phalaropes on Salt Lake along with hundreds of juvenile Wilson's Phalaropes. This morning we had five species of shorebirds including several Baird's less than 25 feet away in a "wet spot" no larger than a kitchen table. The Burrowing Owl remains -- happy to have his photo taken at less than 50 feet -- but he is in SD. We are seeing large numbers of both juvenile and adult plumaged Least Sandpipers together making comparisons easy.

Regards,
Doug Buri
Milbank, South Dakota