[mou] 3 BCNH, Bass Ponds

linda whyte birds at moosewoods.us
Sun Aug 10 19:23:28 CDT 2008

At 3:45 this afternoon, 3 black-crowned night herons were hunting in
the waters on the south or west side of the Bass ponds driveway--two
in the large wetland, and one in the small run-off pond with the large
conduit. Near the top of the hillside, behind the industrial plant,
some young Cooper's hawks were calling in the woods. We also spotted
one young sora in the cattails by the observation deck.

A late warning: to anyone vacationing north and planning to do the
Astrid Lake hiking trail from its entrance near Lake Jeanette on the
Echo Trail, there is considerable blowdown across the trail when you
finally approach Astrid Lake. It took considerable effort to go over,
under, and around the trees, and we acquired dozens of ticks in the
process. It was indeed a lovely lake, however.

Linda Whyte