[mou] Least Bitterns, Redwood County

rdunlap at gustavus.edu rdunlap at gustavus.edu
Sun Aug 10 22:46:39 CDT 2008

This evening Dedrick Benz, John Hockema, Dave Bartkey, Chad Gustafson,
and I found up to four Least Bitterns at Willow WMA near the town of
Wanda in southern Redwood County. We had probably the best looks any
of us have ever had at this species as they actively foraged around
the perimeter of the marsh. Only once did we hear one call, and the
call we heard was the harsh, less frequently heard "kak-kak-kak"
vocalization.

Also in the wetlands were a pair of Red-necked Grebes and about a
bajillion blackbirds coming in to roost for the night.

Bob Dunlap, Nicollet County
bobthebirdman.blogspot.com