[mou] Buff-breasted Sandpipers; Rice Co.

Dave Bartkey screechowl at charter.net
Mon Aug 11 16:23:16 CDT 2008

Hi everyone,

  John Hockema and I birded today and found 4 Buff-breasted Sandpipers at
the sod farms on the northwest corner of where Hwy. 60 (Kenyon Blvd.) and
Ibson Ave. meet. This is the same field where we found some last year. The
birds were foraging in the strip of exposed earth viewed easily from either
Ibson Ave. or Hwy. 60.

  Also seen from this location today were 2 American Golden Plovers and a
nice surprise; a flyover Swainson's Hawk!

  After John and I had been there for awhile, a man working at the sod farm
came out to see what we were up to. I explained what we were looking at and
he was very friendly and understanding. He had no problem with us being
there pointing binoculars and scopes at them while they worked. I say this
so others do not feel intimidated by the workers being present. They know
what we're there for now!

  John and I also found a nice little marsh with some good shorebirds in
Waseca County this afternoon just north of Rice Lake on C.R. 10. The
following were present:

Semipalmated Plover

Greater Yellowlegs

Lesser Yellowlegs