[mou] new birder in sw MN w/interesting experience

Eric Harrold gentilis03 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 13 07:25:50 CDT 2008

Hey folks,

Just moved here a couple of weeks ago from western Virginia where I worked for the State Park system. I'm now with a small environmental education organization located in Jackson Co. If anyone would like to show me the neighborhood, so-to-speak, I'd be up for it.

Rode out to Sandy Point Park yesterday evening and witnessed what seemed to be tens of thousands of White Pelicans. Also swarming were a multitude of both Barn and Tree Swallows and an Osprey passed over as well. Upon returning to my vehicle, waiting for me was a situation that I've never experienced in all my years of birding. A House Wren had ventured into the car through a cracked window. Had the appearance of a juvenile bird and more or less left things the way it found them, short of a small splash on the corner of a seat. I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later...

Eric Harrold
Lakefield, MN