[mou] Year of the siskins(and other winter finches?)

Benjamin Fritchman fieldfare21 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 13 13:12:16 CDT 2008

I've noticed that pine siskins have been common in central minnesota this year. I've had 6 of them at my feeders in southern Todd county for a few weeks. I've never seen them in Todd county in the summer(probably nested in the area). Also, I've had them in a couple other counties around here while birding around the last few weeks. Then the other day, several purple finches showed up at my feeders, again, not seen here normally in the summer. I've seen a couple other reports of siskins as well, and I'm hoping with our cool early summer, that these birds will be common across the entire state come winter time. I don't know if this applies to other finches such as crossbills, redpolls, or grosbeaks, but if anyone has any forecast let me know...because it looks like an interesting winter is ahead.

Ben Fritchman