[mou] Louisiana Swamp shorebirds and peregrine falcon..long....

SCmzd at aol.com SCmzd at aol.com
Mon Aug 18 21:09:21 CDT 2008

Spent the weekend in the twin cities area near Jordan MN. and was able to
get out to the Louisiana Swamp area for the past two mornings.  Observed  around
50-60 shorebirds, mostly least sandpipers, some greater and lesser
yellowlegs, some killdeer, a solitary sandpiper, and a spotted sandpiper.   The
shorebirds were observed in the exact location posted earlier this month by  Craig
Mandel, (see craig's directions posted 8/11/08, thanks Craig:)  The  highlight
of the two mornings was having a belted kingfisher fly over my head  followed
by a peregrine falcon(appeared to be an adult bird) in hot  pursuit.  The
peregrine attacked and dropped the kingfisher into the river,  but it was not
fatal.  At this point the birds are about 100 yards away  from me in great morning
light.  Immediately after the kingfisher hit the  water the falcon flew
several feet straight up, banked hard and dropped on the  kingfisher again who was
still in the water.  The kingfisher amazingly held  it's ground and appeared
unharmed.  Again the falcon flew straight up,  banked and dropped on the
kingfisher again, all the while the kingfisher was  rattling away.  After this third
attack, the kingfisher managed to get out  of the water and fly out of sight
down the river with the falcon in hot  pursuit.  I had about twenty shorebirds
in front of me while this was  happening, (they were watching as intently as I
was), and after the falcon had  flown away after the kingfisher, the
shorebirds sat motionless for about two  minutes.  Very cool!  This is a neat area but
wow that mud is like  quicksand, I was up to mid thigh a few times and don't
recommend trying to walk  out on the mudflats if you are tactily sensitive:)
Happy Birding,  Shawn Zierman.

deal here.