[mou] N. Waterthrush, 1st fall RB Grosbeaks, 9-Mile Creek, Hennepin Co.

linda whyte linda at moosewoods.us
Thu Aug 21 19:27:28 CDT 2008

A N. Waterthrush was feeding along the shore of 9-Mile Creek in
Bloomington early this afternoon, directly across from mile-marker
1.9. Its yellow wash clearly visible as it bobbed its way across the
mud and hopped into the low brush.

Further upstream my attention was drawn to a very small mouse with a
very long tail, that hopped on back legs like a kangaroo, gathering
food. Having stopped to watch the mouse, I finally noticed a group of
4 rather colorful, first-fall, male rose-breasted grosbeaks, along
with a female BAOR.

Among the usual summer residents, such as the kingfishers and various
flycatchers, were a few raptors: a couple of TUVUs, a couple of
juvenile COHAs, and a young RTHA.

The jewelweed is plentiful, but no hummingbirds showed themselves.
Linda Whyte