[mou] Lake Superior Boat Trip

Michael Hendrickson mlhendrickson at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 30 08:36:18 CDT 2008

On September 20th from 8am to 12pm I will be leading a Lake Superior boat trip on the research vessel LL Smith.  Typically I use to organize about 3 trips during the fall season and this year I am only organizing one trip..  This trip can be part of the MOU field trips during the Fall season.  The cost to cover the boat fee will be $30.00 per birder and we need at least 20 birders to pay the fee of $560.00 for the 4 hour boat trip.
I ask that birders bring a bag or two of popcorn to chum the gulls in.  Last year on one of our boat trips in September we had a nice Parasitic Jaeger on the water and watched the same jaeger harass the gulls.  We also had a nice sighting of a Lesser Black-backed Gull. These birding boat trips are very exciting as you never know what to expect to find on Lake Superior.   Several years ago we had 2 Sabine Gulls and a Red Phalarope and on our last boat trip last year a Arctic Tern was briefly viewed..
If the weather is to stormy to board the boat we will bird Park Point and scan the many viewing points on the point for jaegers, gulls and other migrants. Either way we will be birding!!  That means you pocket the $30 and come along and bird with me at Park Pt. for free for a few hours.
Also this Lake Superior birding boat trip is on the same weekend as Hawk Ridge Weekend and birders can plan this event as part of their activities for the day.  If the winds are from the northwest, raptors will be peaking around noon as the day warms up for the thermals they use to migrate over Duluth.
If you want your name to be on the boat list of participants please reply to this email or send me a email at mlhendrickson at yahoo.com.

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Website: http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/