[mou] Isanti Co. Whooping Cranes

Ned Winters nwinters at isd.net
Sun Aug 31 19:48:34 CDT 2008

While birding Isanti County today, Carolyn Walkin and I found 3 Whooping
Cranes in the extreme NW part of the county in the Dalbo State Wildlife
Management Area. The parking area we observed the birds from is on 421st
Avenue NW (the gravel road that is the county line between Isanti and
Kanebec Counties), 2.1 miles west of State Highway 47.
After talking to Kim Eckert, who had talked to the Fish and Wildlife Service
after I left him a message, it is felt that these are the three birds that
the FWS lost track of from the Wisconsin flock. We observed the birds for
about 40 minutes, and during a period that we weren't actively looking at
the birds, they disappeared. As we were leaving the area to try to relocate
them, we talked to a farmer who has a permit to farm in the WMA. He said he
had just seen three "big white birds" flying to the east as he drove up. He
thinks he has seen them in this area for almost two weeks. We never did find
the birds again.

Ned Winters
St. Paul, MN