[mou] Barrow's Goldeneye, Wabasha Co.

Bruce Fall bafall at umn.edu
Sat Feb 2 18:44:47 CST 2008

 From 15:00 to 15:45 this afternoon (Sat., 2 Feb.) Susan Fall and I
watched an adult male Barrow's Goldeneye at the far E end of Lake
Pepin (Wabasha Co.). We viewed it from the first pulloff E of Camp
Lacupolis (US 61). It was in a large group of Common Goldeneyes and
was actively diving much of the time. We also watched it (and about 8
male Common Goldeneyes) courting a female Common Goldeneye. There are
over 900 goldeneyes and 2000 Common Mergansers in the stretch of
river between this pulloff and Read's Landing 1.5 mi. farther E, so
there are lots of birds to sort through. Also present here were 2
Canvasbacks (male, female), and a 1st-year male Lesser Scaup.

Bruce A. Fall
Minneapolis