[mou] Belated Driving & Home Feeder Report: Anoka & Ramsey Co's

Holly Peirson hpbirdscouter at msn.com
Sun Feb 3 08:54:39 CST 2008

Belatedly, sorry...

On the way from Forest Lake to St. Paul on Friday afternoon about 3:00 PM, I
counted about 15 Red-tailed Hawks and 1 Rough-legged Hawk perched, and
hunting, in the trees along I-35. One flew down and caught something as we
drove by! They were spaced between 1/4 to 1/2 mile apart for some time,
until we passed the 694 interchange, then I saw 1 more RTHA between there
and the Larpenteur/Wheelock exit. Wow!! I speculate that the cold in the
last few weeks has brought them south and more concentrated. I find this
same phenomenon along the Fwy's in winter when we drive from MN to either MI
or CO, begin seeing them along a band that would match mid-Iowa south. In CO
along the 2-lane rds we take from I-76 to I-24, I have counted as many as 30
RTHA's and RLHA's (incl a few of the gorgeous black phased birds), as well
as Kestrel, Merlin, Coopers, and N. Harrier.

Also, this week I have had 3-4 Common Redpolls among the 40 or so
Goldfinches visiting my Nyjer feeders. I have 2 now, the regular kind and
also a mesh bag. The goldfinches love that, as they can perch upside down to
eat, one of their favorite positions, probably due to the fact that thistle
and other seed-heads will bend with their weight as they feed. The redpoll's
pink wash is very lovely, it's been a couple of years since I have had a
visit!

I have also been enjoying the owls in the evenings, both Great Horned and
Barred (but not at the same time) have been calling at night.

Holly Peirson
Columbus, Anoka Co.