[mou] Flight call ID help

Pastor Al Schirmacher pastoral at princetonfreechurch.net
Mon Feb 4 10:01:40 CST 2008

While walking Milaca Hiking Trails this morning (central MN, for those not
familiar with the booming metropolis of Milaca), observed a finch-sized bird
with a single fly over call - "eeeet" to my ear - rather weak sounding -
repeated once.  Did not observe any undulance in flight.  No color was
observed against the white sky.  The call was similar to a Brown Creeper.

So I welcome input.  Only have Sibley with me here - he mentions a variant
WW Crossbill call that is similar (could not discover same on net).  Two
WW's were observed in this location last year.  However, is their flight
pattern ever direct?

On the other hand, I probably would have simply "dismissed" this as a
creeper - except for the observed fly over - since the dozens of creepers
I've seen over the years are only observed ascending tree trunks or flying
from tree to tree.  Imagine they fly over head at times, but has anyone
observed same?

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks!

Al Schirmacher