[mou] Wilkie and Veterans Park

Ben Parke trumpetplayers at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 7 14:25:22 CST 2008

Took a drive down to the Wilkie Unit today to observe the ducks listed by Craig Mandel:

  Sewage Ponds:
  Canvasback
  ring-necked
  greater scaup
  hooded merganser
  ruddy duck
  also: coot, common goldeneye, mallard, canada geese

  Blue Lake:
  Trumpeter Swans (actually trumpeting!)
  wood duck
  gadwall
  hooded merganser
  more mallards
  canada geese

  Veterans Park on 101 mile or 2 west of Sewage Ponds:
  more mallards
  5 trumpeter swans
  many canada geese
  3 white geese - 1 all white (no black primaries), 2 darker backs but again no black primaries - Some sort of morph or are these domestics?  I don't own a digital camera so I don't have any photos to share - would be curious to hear from other birders that are able to stop at the park