[mou] Sax-Zim Wednesday - Magpie, No. Hawk Owl, etc.

Judith Sparrow jsparrow at centurytel.net
Thu Feb 14 00:03:36 CST 2008

Hi Everyone,

Today, Gary Ash and I birded Sax-Zim and saw a Black-billed Magpie on Arkola
about 1/10 mile west of the St. Louis River.  The magpie was feeding on the
somewhat meager remains of a deer located in the ditch on the north side of
Arkola.  We also saw the previously reported, and regularly seen, Northern
Hawk Owl at 4 p.m. or so on the west side of St. Louis County Rd. 7 about
200 ft. south of Stone Lake Rd. (and just north of the Zim Sod Farms).  We
watched the owl for around 10 minutes--including scope views--and then it
took off and flew to the top of a tree a few hundred feet south of its
original perch.

The Morse's feeder on Blue Spruce Rd. had the previously reported Boreal
Chickadee, Hoary Redpoll, Gray Jays, Pine and Evening Grosbeaks, Common
Redpolls, etc.

Judith Sparrow
Prescott, WI

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only a page."
--Saint Augustine of Hippo (A.D. 354-430)