[mou] Townsend's Solitaire, St. Paul

alyssa tiger150 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 17 13:04:59 CST 2008

At noonish today, my dad and I were able to relocate the drab-winged Townsend's Solitaire adjacent to the Science Museum in St. Paul. It is best to park by the Caribou by Shepard Rd. (likely the only free-parking space) and to walk along the path that is in-between the Science Museum and the Big Backyard (near the intersection of Eagle and Shepard.) Originally, it was perched on the fence along Shepard Rd. in the Big Backyard putt-putt area, but then flew high and landed near us on the path, sometimes within 10 yards of us. It was odd that it appeared skittish but always seemed to land close to us. My dad took many photos, but we are unsure how they have turned out. I'm a little surprised that this bird isn't getting more publicity from MN birders...
Definitely not the best day for birding, due to the wind. Good birding~

Alyssa DeRubeis
tiger150 at comcast.net