[mou] Fw: help with scopes?????

Sharon Stiteler birdchick at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 12:12:31 CST 2008

Well, if we're going to start talking high end scopes, I use an
angled Swarovski HD 80mm scope and love it.  Again, this is a once in
a lifetime purchase, it's a sturdy, waterproof scope with excellent
clarity and surprisingly lightweight (especially when you use a
carbon tripod).  My scope has survived a fall on pavement and in
Texas last fall, the Swarovski rep dropped his scope off his window
mount tripod onto the road and it is still in working order.
Swarovskis come with a lifetime warranty.

All of the higher end scopes like Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss have
excellent opportunities for digiscoping with a point and shoot camera
and with an SLR.  Most scope manufacturers make adaptors and keep
updated lists of which cameras work best with their scopes.  The more
money you pay, the better your photos will be.  This is a link to
some photos and video that I took using a Fuji FinePix E900 digital
camera and my Swarovski scope:

http://www.birdchick.com/2007/06/loghouse-and-homestead-bed-and.html

Another great place to look for scopes is at bird festivals.  If you
are going to any bird festivals in Minnesota or around the country,
find out if there will be anyone selling optics.  Contact the vendor
ahead of time and tell them what you are looking for and they will
make sure to have it for you to sample, there you can get an idea of
what it's like to carry the scope in the field, if you can work well,
how it stacks up to other scopes and maybe even try digiscoping.  I
know the Detroit Lakes Bird Festival will have Eagle Optics there
this year.

Spend as much money as you can afford and you will avoid scope envy.

Sharon Stiteler
www.birdchick.com
Minneapolis, MN