[mou] MRVAC - Southeastern Minnesota - Field Trip Report - February 18, 2008

CRAIG MANDEL EgretCMan at msn.com
Tue Feb 19 16:19:00 CST 2008

February 18, 2008

Minnesota River Valley Audubon Chapter
Southeastern Minnesota
Field Trip Report

While we had to skip most of the locations, that I have taken groups to on past trips.  Due to snow and blowing snow.  This years itinerary proved to be very successful.  We started with the Snowy Owl in Dakota County, followed by a nice look at the Harlequin Duck in Prescott and then headed down along the Mississippi River and located the Barrow's Goldeneye in the town of Reed's Landing.  We also did a drive through White Water WMA and State Park and while you can see that the stream is much wider in places.  Everything else seems to be as it had been.  We also tried to relocate the Townsend's Solitaire, that has been observed near Oronoco.  But were unsuccessful in our attempt at that.  Here are some of the species observed during the trip.

Trumpeter Swan - Highway 74 in Whitewater WMA

Harlequin Duck - Prescott - 8:00 - 8:15 am - previously posted location by the point South of the Railroad Bridge.

Barrow's Goldeneye - 11:00 - 11:30 am - We re-located the Male Barrow's Goldeneye on the Mississippi River.  We observed the bird from the road next to the river, about 10 houses South of the first road that turns to the river at Reed's Landing.

Sharp-shinned Hawk - One was observed in the town of Wabasha near the Eagle Center and another was observed along Highway 52, near the Olmsted County line.

Snowy Owl - Dakota county - 7:00 am - The bird sitting on about the 8 fence post to the East of Emery Avenue, about 1/2 mile South of 170 th Street.

Craig Mandel
Minnetonka, MN
EgretCMan at msn.com<mailto:EgretCMan at msn.com>