[mou] Digiscoping comment

James Mattsson mattjim at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 19 21:29:53 CST 2008

My two cents worth. My sole reason for digiscoping is to document birds, something I've not seen mentioned in this discussion thus far.  To me, there are two situations in which digiscoping is prefered over conventional long-lens photography:

1) you wish to adequately document the subject (e.g. a rarity) but it is very far away (e.g. 150 m+), and
2) you don't want to unduly disturb the subject and are willing to settle for a bit less in image quality.

A review of the web will show that some digiscopers produce amazing photos that are equal to and sometimes superior to many conventional long-lens photographers. But they are exceptions and digiscoping is very difficult to master. Like everything, it all depends on what your goals are.

There have been many excellent suggestions and opinions expressed in this discussion.

James Mattsson
mattjim at earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.