[mou] Digiscoping discussion

Rob Daves rob_daves at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 20 13:11:23 CST 2008

I'm not an IT guy -- public opinion research is my game -- but I put Gail's question a couple of years ago to some of the IT gurus at the large, locally well-known media company I used to work for.  Their consensus (you could see the wheels turning as they hemmed and hawed), was that:

1.  We don't know what the long term future looks like, so any digital medium would be dicey if you really, really wanted to preserve your images for a long time.
2.  Use multiple digital media for backups.  (The RAID systems are good, as one writer indicated, but aren't bullet proof.)
3.  Analogue is the only failsafe way -- that means printing your images on acid-free paper with quality inks.

Me?  Anything I want to keep, I burn onto a CD and print hard-copy images stored in acid-free plastic sleeves in addition to going the RAID route.  But I'm not a pro at this -- I'm just passing along what some folks in the printing business told me.

Hope it helps.

Rob Daves
South Minneapolis