[mou] FW: Digiscoping comment

Chuck Cole cncole at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 21 07:46:49 CST 2008

You are mostly wrong in your illusions.   I am not a hobbyist, but an
experienced pro in optics, optical design, and a physicist, engineer, etc.
Laser systems I have contributed to in electro-optic design and telescope
operations flies on stealth aircraft (etc) since the late 1980s and do
precision targeting to 20km ranges in air combat and swamp airstrip
maintenance situations.  Do you have any pro education and experience
qualifications?

What I spoke of is "diffraction limited" optical performance, which no photo
gear attains.  I did not say the Celestron 750mm is more rugged or better
suited for uneducated users and was clear to imply these are fine (but
different) instruments.

I agree on "build features" for the uneducated public, however.  That "pro
gear" is fine and quite rugged... just not at the level of diffraction
limited optical performance.  These things are well-built but for different
users and uses.  Note that I opened my earlier comment with "I mostly
agree..", and was mainly pointing out that the summary was not completely
true, only generally and only by pragmatics.

The Celestron and Meade top line gear is built for knowledgeable users who
truly need diffraction limited optics and can provide the occasional
collimation adjustment in exchange for reduced price.  Few or none of the
things you mentioned are actually built to be used in drenching wet
condensing relative humidity circumstances as is typically the case for the
Celestron and Meade gear in summer when the dew point occurs during usage.

Perhaps you simply are "underinformed" of the differences and may be among
those who must pay for their ignorance and superstitions  :-)

>  And by
> the way, if you haven't heard, film is an item of the distant
> past!  Digital is now far superior to film in every respect.

That simply is not true.  Some films have superior resolution, color, etc.
Digital is good, but not THAT good yet.  Base your comments on real physical
measurements and NOT just advertising BS and innuendo. Film still has better
than a 4:1 edge on actual resolution for what you are ranting about.  Some
of the super-specialized stuff for spy satellites is better, but only by
multi-frame techniques. and can't do "quick snapshots" like film or DSLRs
can.  Note that I did not claim that Wal-Mart film scanning is better than
DSLRs (but it is better than most), and did say that I reserve the option
for hi-res scanning from the film, etc, and FYI, that can get superior
resolution (etc) to any current DSLR from many films by scanning.

> Eastman Kodak, you might be interested in knowing, is tearing
> down most of the buildings where they made their sensitized
> materials.  Enjoy your shooting, but don't try to tell me that
> the amateur equipment you're using is superior or even as good as
> the established benchmarks in professional photo equipment.

That is true (and for other companies), but that is business "for the
hobbyists" (ie, "for the masses" and predominantly "snapshot markets") and
NOT technology, nor for some of the truly professional materials.  Perhaps
you should look into those differences.  Specialized emulsions with truly
high resolution, sensititivities, etc are still being produced, but those
were never available at Wal-Mart or National Camera nor in super-high
production volumes in those factories.

> Gerald Brimacombe
> Photographer

.. one somewhat naive of the technology and science in his field, but seems
well-read in marketing brochures and popular summary blurbs.

Thanks for the comments, but you are quite mistaken in most of your views.
Hope my reply helps you some in that regard.  Don't mean to "attack", just
to counter and take a step toward correcting your misinformation.

Chuck