[mou] gulf bend trip

TeamVagrant at aol.com TeamVagrant at aol.com
Mon Feb 25 15:18:46 CST 2008

Charlie  and I got back last night from a 9 day trip to Texas.  Most of the
time was  spent around Corpus Christi (actually Rockport).  We spent one day on
a  Birding Boat called the Wharf Cat and  had some close looks at  Whooping
Cranes on our first day there. We spent one day and drove to Santa Ana  NWR,
and one day on a King Ranch Birding tour.  The trip was a success for  targets,
as well as some unexpected ones.  We found a Blue Bunting at Santa  Ana NWR
which the center was very excited about.  Probably not as much as  me though.
That's the first sighting they've had since January 2005.   We also observed a
Hooked Billed Kite there.  The trip to the King Ranch  gave us the Masked
Duck, Sprague's  Pipit and dozens  of Least Grebes.  Yes, dozen's!  groups of 5
here, 2 there, 7 over  there...  They weren't our first Leasts, but to see so
many was  unexpected.
146  total species.  Charlie added 13 lifers, and I  added 8.
A  great time as usual and always memorable to see different parts of the
country.
spring  is on the way...i think
Chris  Elmgren

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)