[mou] Ivory Gull

psvingen at d.umn.edu psvingen at d.umn.edu
Mon Jan 7 14:01:08 CST 2008

I just spoke with Jim Lind and he said that the immature Ivory Gull
got up from the ice where it had been sitting, circled high overhead,
and flew west at 1:40 PM. Areas to consider looking for the bird
include the harbor ice off the Port Terminal, the mouth of Miller
Creek near the WLSSD treatment plant off 27th Ave West, and the harbor
ice off the Park Point Recreation Area where several ice fisherman
have gathered. Of course, it's possible that the bird will return to
Canal Park also.
When it was initially spotted at 11:24 AM today, it was on the ice
east of the Canal Park tourist area (near the Maritime Museum).
Between 11:37 and 11:42 AM, it flew around before landing on another
ice floe. For about the last hour and a half, it has been best seen
from the "corner of the lake" near the Canal Park Lodge, where
Mallards and other waterfowl congregate. Several birders will be
attempting to refind the bird this afternoon, and if I receive any
more updates I will repost. I will also keep watching from my office
window as time permits.
--
Peder H. Svingen
Duluth, MN