[mou] 2000+ blackbirds, Blue Earth County

rdunlap at gac.edu rdunlap at gac.edu
Wed Jan 9 19:30:23 CST 2008

Around 4:00 this afternoon I witnessed a massive flock of 2000+
blackbirds flying north over Hwy. 22 north of Mankato in Blue Earth
County. The majority appeared to be Red-winged Blackbirds, but I'm
guessing there were other species present as well.

This seems like an excessively large overwintering flock. A couple
winters ago there was a flock of around 200 blackbirds overwintering
near Kasota (on Hwy. 22 between St. Peter and Mankato), and last
winter there was a small mixed flock (grackles and red-wings) present
on the north side of St. Peter. But 2000+ seems almost unbelievable
for early January.

Bob Dunlap, Nicollet County