[mou] Red-shouldered hawk - Ramsey County

john zakelj jzakelj at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 13 14:12:17 CST 2008

About a week ago, a large hawk swooped low about 20
feet in front of my car as I was driving west on Lower
Afton Road between Hwy 61 and McKnight.  I could
clearly see the red shoulders and barred tail.  He
flew into Battle Creek Regional Park.  I have often
seen red-shouldered hawks while canoeing on the Cannon
River, so I was pretty sure that's what it was, but it
all happened so fast and he had such clear markings, I
wondered if I dreamed it all. I didn't think more of
it until I saw the posts on the listserv today.  Could
this be someone's captive hawk escaped?