[mou] [mnbird] Trumpeter Swan buildup danger

Larson Kelly northernflights at charter.net
Mon Jan 14 14:22:36 CST 2008

Bob,

please take no offense at my line of questioning. I have not been to
Monticello to see the swans. You may have access to more information
than we do and might better inform all of us.

If the feeding at Monticello stops, are the swans not likely to stage
in large numbers elsewhere? How many birds are typical wintering
flocks comprised of? Is it not in the very nature of waterfowl to
winter in large numbers at safe, food productive sites? If they move
further south, out of state, won't we lose the ability to protect and
manage the population within our borders?

It would be devastating to lose the population at this site because
of a zoonotic event. But does moving the flock to another site
diminish that risk? At Monticello the swans can be easily monitored
and should the need arise, captured and vetted. I would imagine a
more remote location would pose difficulties both in manning a daily
monitoring effort and delivering health care. We are all aware of the
funding cuts wildlife and conservation programs have endured for
years, at all levels of government. Utilizing volunteers and citizens
groups is often the only way left to get things done.

Rather than breaking up this site, what about actively attracting
some of the swans to use additional sites within the state? Could you
use bait, calls and decoys to establish new wintering groups? Could
this be an opportunity to partner a new project with DU and the
energy companies?

Kelly Larson
Bemidji Minnesota

Eschew Obfuscation!