[mou] Duluth update

Eckert K R eckertkr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 20:59:04 CST 2008

Following are some of our sightings during the Jan 12-16 VENT tour in
Duluth and NE Minn:

- Snowy Owl: One still present in the vicinity of the Duluth airport;
however, security concerns make access difficult to where it is seen.
This species is more easily seen at the 2 Aitkin Co locations posted
recently by Warren Nelson.

- N Hawk Owl: Still consistently seen in Sax-Zim Bog along Co Rd 7,
~1/2 mi S of Stone Lake Rd; usually on the W side of 7, often several
hundred yards from the road and difficult to spot.

- Barred Owl: Relocated in Sax-Zim Bog along Nichols Lake Rd, ~1.5 mi E
of Co Rd 7.

- Am Three-toed Woodpecker: In Sax-Zim Bog on Admiral Rd, < 0.1 mi N of
Zim Rd (thanks to Frank Nicoletti for reporting this location). Species
also seen by other birders on McDavitt Rd and Blue Spruce Rd.

- Black-backed Woodpecker: Same location as the Am Three-toed. Another
in Sax-Zim Bog on Nichols Lake Rd, 1 mi W of U S Hwy 53; and another on
McDavitt Rd, 3.1 mi N of Sax Rd. Species also seen by other birders on
Blue Spruce Rd.

- Boreal Chickadee: Most easily seen at the Varied Thrush feeder in
Duluth (see below).

- Townsend's Solitaire: As previously posted, present in Duluth by the
pedestrian bridge between London Rd & Leif Erikson Park just E of 10th
Ave E.

- Varied Thrush: Still present at Christina & Dave's feeder in Duluth
(see previous postings for access information).

- Bohemian Waxwing: Flock still present in Meadowlands in the NW part
of town. No other area sightings since last week?

- Harris's Sparrow: Relocated today at 226 4th Ave in Two Harbors;
first reported here Jan 5.

- Hoary Redpoll: One obvious male, possibly two, and at least one
female in Sax-Zim Bog at Derek's feeders on Blue Spruce Rd.

Not seen - Great Gray Owl: as far as I know, despite searches by
several birders, there have been no reports on Nichols Lake Rd since
Jan 6, on McDavitt Rd since Jan 10, or in the Pietz's Rd/Co Rd 18 area
of Aitkin Co since ~Jan 1. White-winged and Red crossbills: as far as I
know, no sightings by anyone since last week?

Kim Eckert