[mou] Binocular (and field guide) recommendation for youths?

Paul Smithson psmithson at smm.org
Thu Jan 17 12:46:04 CST 2008

Hi Shawn,

I meant to send this out a few days ago to you. We utilized an offer from Eagle optics for non-profit organizations that allowed us to get better quality binocs at a lower price.  It is a two for the price of one matching program that they have.  The limitations are: 1) you must purchase at least three pairs of binoculars under $200 each (for a total of six pairs), and 2) the brands that are offered are Eagle Optics, Audubon, Stokes, and Vortex.  A simple email to Eagle optics asking about the non-profit matching donation program should the ball rolling in the right direction.

It worked out well as were able to purchase $180 binoculars for $90 dollars a piece.  That said, we went with Audubon Equinox 8x42 ($180) and Audubon Vector 8x42 ($130) aiming at using them with 4th graders up to adult. The Equinox are worth the extra $25!

Just a note that all of this info is as of June 2007, some rules and prices may have changed.

cheers,
Paul W Smithson
Interpretive Naturalist/Avian Coordinator
Warner Nature Center
www.warnernaturecenter.org
651.433.2427  ext. 14