[mou] Northwest Minnesota Birding Report- Thursday, January 17, 2008

Jeanie Joppru ajjoppru at wiktel.com
Thu Jan 17 20:25:14 CST 2008

-RBA
*Minnesota
*Detroit Lakes
*January 17, 2008
*MNDL0801.17

-Birds mentioned
Ruffed Grouse
Bald Eagle
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Pileated Woodpecker
Northern Shrike
Black-billed Magpie
Bohemian Waxwing
Cedar Waxwing
Northern Cardinal
Pine Grosbeak
Evening Grosbeak
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: January 17, 2008
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru (ajjoppru at wiktel.com)

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, January 17,
2008 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

This has been a more typical January week. Temperatures have been below
zero most nights, and with sunshine highs have gone as high as 20. A
little snow has fallen , keeping the landscape clean looking. Bird
activity is minimal under such conditions, but still some species are
being reported.

Shelley Steva and I saw two BLACK-BILLED MAGPIES in eastern Mahnomen
County on January 13.

In Polk County, I have a secondhand report of a NORTHERN CARDINAL in the
cemetery in downtown Crookston last week. Also in Polk County, Shelley
Steva and I found a NORTHERN SHRIKE, 25 BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS, and 15 PINE
GROSBEAKS in the town of Lengby in the far southeastern part of the
county on January 13.

Shelley Steva reported a BALD EAGLE in Red Lake County this week.

In Pennington County, Shelley saw 12 CEDAR WAXWINGS in Thief River Falls
on January 12. Zeann Linder saw a PILEATED WOODPECKER in her yard on
January 15, also in Thief River Falls.

Lyle and Sally Lauber at Dixon Lake in western Itasca County observed an
accipiter taking an EVENING GROSBEAK for lunch in their yard on January
13. The consensus seems to be that the hunter was a SHARP-SHINNED HAWK.

In Clearwater County on January 13, Shelley Steva and I saw RUFFED
GROUSE, BALD EAGLE, 3 PILEATED WOODPECKERS, and 4 COMMON RAVENS; in
Bagley there were 50 BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS and 54 PINE GROSBEAKS.

Thanks to Lyle and Sally Lauber, Shelley Steva, and Zeann Linder for
their reports.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at ajjoppru at wiktel.com OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, January 24,
2008.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN