[mou] Aitkin Co/Sax Zim Bog Birding

Michael Hendrickson mlhendrickson at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 20 18:15:34 CST 2008

Last day with the two groups from Wausau Wisconson and Missouri.  The coldest the temps read was -26 degrees at 8:00am in Tamarack, Minnesota.  So with these cold temps I wasn't expecting to see Sharp-tailed Grouse dancing and sure enough at the lek location at 8:30am there were 15 Sharp-tailed Grouse on the snow covered field with temps hovering around -24 to -26 there they were a few males dancing and cackling as though it was a balmy day in April!

We also 2 Sharp-tailed Grouse at the feeder location on Kestrel about 2.5 miles north of Tamarack.

Sax Zim Bog:

- 70 to 100 Bohemian Waxwings feeding on a crab apple tree .4 miles south of Co. Rd 133 on Co. Rd 29. This location is just west of Meadowlands, Mn.

-2 Boreal Chickadees on Arkola Rd (Co. Rd 52)  about a mile east of Owl Avenue.

Well the trip was a success despite the frigid unbearable wind chills we manage to find lifers for everyone and even one guy from Missouri who saw 14 lifers.

On the other note the Sax Zim Bog Winter Bird Festival has grown to 140 registered as of today! Friday will be the last day to register for the festival! Of all the registered birders we now have 19 states represented.

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Website: http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/
Blog: http://colderbythelakebirding.blogspot.com/