[mou] Grand Rapids; both redpolls, n. shrike, siskin, cardinals

Wes Bailey jwbp54 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 15:19:42 CST 2008

 Greetings MNbirders,

With the recent cold snap activity at our feeder here in Grand Rapids
increased over the weekend. We had a northern shrike attempt to catch
unsuspecting birds; it fluttered about the feeder and dove, but missed, then
returned for another try but eventually flew off. We had 30+ goldfinches, 7
common redpolls and 1 male hoary redpoll, and a single pine siskin all
coming to the feeder. Also, after a long absence, a cardinal pair returned.
Numbers of individual species seemed to have increased too with the cold; we
had at least 20 chickadees and 8-10 blue jays, I gave up trying to count the
number of red-breasted nuthatches.

Good birding,

Wes Bailey & Courtney Kerns
Grand Rapids, Itasca County